The best kinds of hidden cameras are those that are just that hidden, and hard to find. Most people wouldnt even be aware that a surveillance camera was in the same room as them, because many types are either so small they avoid detection, or are cleverly disguised as common household objects. Of course, most of us will never have an occasion to suspect that we are being secretly filmed by a hidden camera. Nonetheless, it can be very useful to know what to look out for, just in case. Here are just 5 of the tell-tale signs to watch out for:
- Readings on an RF bug detector. The use of one of these clever gadgets is by far the quickest and easiest way to detect hidden cameras within a room or even a building. A camera will always be transmitting data, sending its footage or a live feed to somewhere else. This gives out a signal, which can be detected by a Radio Frequency bug detector. You need one that is sensitive to the frequencies that spy cameras tend to transmit on, such as 900MHz, 1.2GHz, 2.4GHz and 5.85GHz. You simply need to walk around the space slowly, sweeping your bug detector along walls and surfaces. It will detect things that you are expecting, such as existing WiFi networks, but its when theres something you cant identify thats when you may have a hidden camera.
- Non-functioning household objects. Spy cameras are very cleverly designed, being disguised as common household items such as air fresheners, smoke detectors and desk lamps. Some of these objects will have some functionality, but not all will work fully or at all. An item such as this will arouse suspicion.
- A tell-tale hole or black dot. This is the most likely place to find a pinhole camera lens, so its worth inspecting all black dots, holes and tiny O shapes within the room.
- The sparkle of the lens. The body of a camera is easy to hide, but its far more difficult to hide the lens which needs to remain unobstructed in order to film properly. Using a spy camera detector with a glass viewfinder, you can detect the sparkle of the camera lens. This is due to the special red LED optics on the other side of the viewfinder, which can detect any camera lens that isnt hidden behind glass or plastic.
- Disturbances in the arrangement of furniture. If its obvious that items have been disturbed, this could be a sign that someone has planted a hidden camera. Particular things to look out for are objects that have been grouped together (i.e. a plant moved in front of a bookshelf). So, if things arent where you left them or there are signs of disturbance in dust in a room, it could be worth further investigation.
Image credit: Wiki Commons